A message from TSPRA President-Elect Veronica Sopher, chair of the Nominating Committee
Teamwork makes the dream work! As a 17-year veteran of TSPRA I can tell you that this has never been truer for our organization than now. Leadership in TSPRA has always been about collaboration and offering insight for all members, and in 2020 and the years to come, it has the added component of needing to stretch ourselves to be better for ourselves, our districts and for our fellow TSPRAns.
We are managing a global pandemic, the continued fight for valuable public education dollars and an important dialog on equity and inclusion. Your voice and engagement is needed as we continue to move forward. This is why I am encouraging you to consider serving in a TSPRA leadership position. You may nominate yourself or a colleague to do the important work of our organization.
Here are two important deadlines:
- Tuesday, September 1, 2020: Completed online nomination forms must be received by the TSPRA state office no later than 4:00 p.m. You will receive an email confirming the submission.
- Tuesday, September 15, 2020: To be eligible, a person must be a professional member in good standing with dues paid by September 15, 2020.
Nominees must meet all the membership requirements as defined by the bylaws, agree to attend three Executive Committee meetings yearly, and must have the support of their district or organization. To view the complete requirements, go to https://tspra.org/about/elections/
Please note, TSPRA’s Standing Rules state that each area shall have no more than two vice presidents. Since the At Large Vice President Positions 2 and 3 are currently held by members from the Central and North Central areas, no one from those areas would be eligible to serve in the At-Large Vice President Position 1.
Also, according to the 2020-2021 Strategic Plan, the At-Large Vice President Position 1 will need to be filled by a person with expertise and diversity in a few of the areas listed below. Be sure to check these off on the nomination form.
- Graphic Design
- Education Foundation
- Member with fewer than five years in TSPRA
- Young professional
Nominations are needed for:
- Area Vice Presidents & At-Large Vice President Position 1
- East Texas (ESC Regions 6, 7 & 8)
- West Central (ESC Regions 12, 14 & 15)
- Central (ESC Region 13)
- North West (ESC Regions 16 & 17)
- At-Large Position 1 (Represents all areas)
To make a nomination you will need basic information of the person (name, title, district or organization, email and phone number). You will need to answer the following questions on the online nomination form:
- Does the nominee have the support of their district, organization, supervisor?
- Do they understand they are responsible for expenses related to the position, travel and conference?
- Do they have the qualifications to serve?
- How many years have they been in TSPRA?
- In what ways has the nominee served TSPRA? (Committee work, other offices, presenter, etc.)
- What honors has the nominee received?
- Why is the nominee seeking office?
- What skills and expertise does the nominee have?
You will also need to upload the following items:
- A biography/resume of the nominee
- One PDF file compiling the letters of support
- A photo of the nominee
TSPRA is a respected flagship state-education-related organization and we want to continue the important work of the organization. I am honored to be a part of this organization and I look forward to welcoming new leaders to join us as we move forward. Thank you for allowing me to serve as president-elect.