TSPRA Executive Committee meeting briefing
By Linsae Snider
TSPRA Executive Director
The TSPRA Executive Committee met for a full day of business on Thursday, June 20, 2013, following a board orientation and training session the afternoon of June 19, 2013. During their meeting, your elected TSPRA leadership took action on the following items:
- Approved the February 18, 2013 minutes.
- Agreed that 2013-2014 dues will remain the same with the inclusion of the 2013-2014 CTPS kit and continue with a late fee of $45 after November 1, 2013.
- Determined retiree membership fee of $50 to provide complimentary conference registration fees and opportunities to serve on committees in a non-voting advisory capacity.
- Approved the following zone coordinators:
- Mike Rockwood, Lamar CISD, Houston/Beaumont area
- Craig Verley, Mission ISD, Gulf Coast area
- Dawn-Marie Baletka, Navasota EF, East Texas area
- Approved 2013-2014 committee chair appointments made to date.
- Made motion to halt research and consideration of a college-level TSPRA membership.
- Extended executive director’s contract by one year and provided a 3 percent raise.
- Approved communications specialist position as a salaried position.
- Approved 2013-2014 budget.
- Decided on 2014 Star Awards ticket increase from $50 to $65.
- Decided to increase the fees for Star Awards entries for video, electronic, web and campaign/events (categories 26-44) from $40 to $50 and crystal commendation entries from $45 to $65.
- Approved 2014 criteria for scholarship consideration to be one scholarship provided to a first-time conference attendee and one scholarship provided to a member seeking APR/CFRE credentials.
- Implemented a late fee system for outstanding invoices beyond 30 days of the event. (10 percent for 30 days late, 20 percent for 60 days and 30 percent for 90+ days)
- Approved 2016 conference location to be Horseshoe Bay Marriott and 2017 location to be Galveston Hilton/Convention Center.
In other EC business:
- Reviewed in depth the 2012-2014 strategic plan.
- Completed conflict of interest statements.
- Heard officer and committee reports, TSPRA projected financials for FY 2012-2013, executive director evaluation summary, budget committee recap, ad hoc committee updates and CTPS student video contest results.
- Reviewed 2013 conference evaluations, financials and historical information.
- Received direction for establishment of 2013 nominating committee.
- Appointed TSPRA President, Patti Pawlik-Perales, as TSPRA representative to Texas Teacher of the Year judging team.
- Appointed the following TASA INSIGHT guest TSPRA authors
- Fall 2013: Gustavo Reveles, Canutillo ISD
- Winter 2014: Lorette Williams, Corpus Christi ISD
- Spring 2014: Kristin Zastoupil, Corsicana ISD/EF
- Reviewed list of TSPRA presenters for the September 27-29, 2013 TASA/TASB Fall Convention in Dallas.
- Recognized TSPRA members attending the 2013 NSPRA Conference in San Diego as well as TSPRA presenters and awards recipients.
- Announced exclusive three-day 2013 conference registration fee in addition to preconference fee.
- Announced 2012-2013 annual conference theme and reviewed graphics being developed by Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD.
- Discussed annual TAPE conference being held in conjunction with TSPRA preconference sessions.
- Reviewed 2013-2014 state office calendar.
- Received information on Discount Health Care Cards and financial dividends to TSPRA.
- Discussed proposal to revise bylaws/standing rules to include eliminating EF chair-elect position and considering EF chair a two-year vice president term.
- Studied proposals for TSPRA/private sector professional development ventures.
- Encouraged all members to upload their photos and to update their member profiles.
- Enjoyed meals sponsored by ParentLink and heard presentation by Troy Patti.