TSPRA Executive Committee report
The TSPRA Executive Committee met for a half-day work session on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 and a full day of business on Thursday, June 15, 2017. TSPRA leadership took action on the following items:
- Approved February 20, 2017 minutes.
- Made certain the minutes reflected the following EC motions approved earlier through technology:
- 2017-2018 Scholarship Committee (April 10, 2017)
- 2017-2018 Professional Awards Committee Chair (April 10, 2017)
- 2017-2018 Strategic Planning Committee (April 10, 2017)
- 2017-2018 Member Review of Financial Records and Procedures [Audit] Committee (April 10, 2017)
- Approved remaining 2017-2018 TSPRA Committee Appointments/Assignments not previously approved.
- Approved the 2018 TSPRA Scholarship Committee proposal to provide three conference scholarships to professional level members, two to first-time TSRPA conference attendees and one to an existing member based on financial need and to include conference registration, preconference registration, Star Awards banquet ticket four nights hotel accommodations and reimbursement of travel expenses up to $500 based on submission of receipts. Recipients will be expected to serve on TSPRA committees in 2018-2019.
- Approved the following zone coordinators:
- Tammy Dowdy, Dickinson ISD, for Houston/Beaumont area
- Lauren Loyless, Lindale ISD, East Texas area
- Sonya Cole-Hamilton, Lancaster ISD, North Central area
- Sylvia Rincon, Southside ISD, for San Antonio area
- Sarah-Jane Menefee, ESC-12, for West Central area
- Gustavo Reveles, El Paso ISD, for Far West area
- Extended executive director’s contract one year and a 5% raise.
- Awarded RFP for TSPRA logo redesign to Blue Jarvis.
- Approved moving an additional $25,000 from savings to the long-term investment funds and diversifying the investments into and additional fund.
- Approved 2017-2018 budget as recommended by the budget committee that would include:
- Dues increase of $25 for associate level membership
- Dues increase of $45 after November 1, 2017
- Conference registration increase of $20 from $450 to $470.
- Non-member conference registration to include the TSPRA membership at $675.
- No increase in preconference or Star Awards banquet ticket price
- Late conference registration fee of $100 after January 22, 2018
- Late fees of 1.5% monthly for delinquent payments beyond 30 days
- Staff salary compensation increases
- Substantial increase in line items related to conference expenses, specifically audiovisuals and speakers
- Addition of a line item designated specifically to credit cards fees
- Transfer of funds in savings designated for external audit and logo redesign
In other EC business:
- Heard report of the Strategic Planning Committee desktop review of the status of the 2016-2018 Organizational Goals.
- Heard report on 2020 and 2021 conference selections.
- Completed officer “conflict of interest” statements.
- Heard officer and standing committee reports, TSPRA FY 2016-2017 financials to date and historical financial status.
- Received direction for establishment of 2017 TSPRA Nominating Committee.
- Allowed minutes to reflect that TSPRA Bylaws/Standing Rules Amendments became effective on March 10, 2017, when approved by NSPRA Executive Board.
- Reviewed schedule of Spoken Word trainings.
- Recapped 2017 conference and Star Awards evaluations, financials and historical information.
- Heard the Star Awards Review Committee review of categories 24-27, both user and judges feedback regarding the Open Water system and accepted recommendation for the addition of a Marketing Crystal Award.
- Received briefing on 2018 conference schedule, planning to date and unveiling of theme and logo.
- Appointed Melissa Tortorici, TSPRA President, as TSPRA representative to Texas Teacher of the Year judging team.
- Reported that the TSPRA host committee for the 2017 NSPRA Conference will meet on June 22, 2017, in San Antonio to finalize plans.
- Determined TASA INSIGHT guest writers for issues from fall 2017 through fall 2018.
- Reviewed list of TSPRA presenters for the 2017 TASA/TASB Fall Convention in Houston.
- Reported that a letter will be sent to superintendents employing TSPRA members, effective June 1.
- Recognized TSPRA members attending the 2017 NSPRA Conference in San Antonio as well as TSPRA presenters.
- Received 2017-2018 state office calendar.
- Established dates for future Executive Committee meetings and written report deadlines.
- Received reminder that those serving in TSPRA leadership positions and on committees are expected to renew dues by September 15, 2017.
- Enjoyed Franklin BBQ luncheon sponsored by EdBacker and heard presentation by Gary Hensley and Cullen Pagel.
- To Joel Weckerly of Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, who has been promoted to Director of Communications there.
- To Chris Moore, formerly of Frisco ISD, who has moved to Richardson ISD to become Chief Communications Officer.
- To Helen Williams, formerly of Red Oak ISD, who has moved to Greenville ISD to take a position as Community Engagement Officer.
- To Cristina Nguyen, formerly of Round Rock ISD, who is moving to Austin ISD as a Communications Specialist.
- To Andrew Fernandez, formerly of Harlandale ISD, who is moving to San Marcos CISD to take a position as Executive Director of Communications and Community Relations.
- To Rick Herrin, formerly of Carroll ISD, who has moved to Aledo ISD as a Communications Officer.
TSPRA at NSPRA 2017
The 2017 NSPRA National Seminar in San Antonio is coming up in just a couple of weeks, and we have a couple of TSPRA-related bullet points.
- The TSPRA host committee is asking all TSPRA members attending the NSPRA Seminar to wear their Power of Public T-shirts to the Sunday evening Opening Reception.
- Our thanks go out to all of our TSPRA members who are presenting, facilitating or otherwise representing our organization at NSPRA. Those include: Melissa Tortorici, Kristin Zastoupil; Ian Halperin; Reyne Telles; Samantha Alexander; Linda Buchman; Steve Brunsman; Melissa Wiland; Julie Thannum, APR; Angela Duitch, APR; Nicole Mansell, Ed.D.; Adam Holland; Tim Carroll, APR and Arianna Vazquez-Hernandez.
TSPRA appreciates the support of our sponsors, which helps make events such as the 2017 Annual Conference possible. Thanks to Elementary Schoolmate, who sponsored the Bright Idea Award and conference name badges.